Re: [orca-list] Programers guide for Orca development

I totally agree with what you say here. I do think it would be good to have some documentation to get the
inexperienced programmer up to speed a bit
easier. I think there are probably novice python coders who care enough about Orca because they use it every
day for everything they do who would in
some cases be able to make some contributions if they had a bit of guidence.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Jason White wrote:
Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 05:26:47PM -0500

Alex Midence <alex midence gmail com> wrote:
My goodness!  Thanks, Jos? for posting this.  It admirably underscores the
desperate need for a concise, complete and well-written developer's guide
for Orca.  Perhaps it is my own ignorance of matters programming but, I
imagine only the very most persistent and dedicated people with a great deal
of disposable time are likely to contribute anything substantial to Orca
development.

Actually, no, I don't think that's true. It's much less complex than, say,
Linux kernel development, to which large numbers of people (including
volunteers) regularly contribute.

The difficulty is that most Orca users don't have the required skills or
experience with reading and understanding source code. It really isn't that
complicated compared with, for example, a compiler, a Web browser, a
typesetting system, etc.

However, accessibility is a rather specialized area and thus it requires
contributors who have the required knowledge and an interest in the field -
harder to find.

The truth is that experienced programmers know how to make sense of even quite
complex software projects with limited documentation. They know how to
identify the important components and how to work out what they need to modify
in order to solve a problem.