Re: [orca-list] Programers guide for Orca development

hi
I'll chime in myself here. I've tried a few times to pick up orca,
much as I tried to pick up nvda back when I used windows, and always
eventually gave up. This isn't because of orca itself, but rather the
layored and sometimes convoluted method of getting orca to speak
anything. You'd think setting something as an icon and setting it's
role would be enough, but it seems at-spi has to get exactly what it
wants or orca has no fallback, and therefore speaks nothing. So this
isn't orca itself, but the layor beneath it that defeated me. There is
some sparce documentation on at-spi but it's so geeky it's way over my
head. If I could understand at-spi I could go a long way towards
implementing something like that nvda speaking thing I've been
wanting. Just making orca speak text through at-spi, bypassing the
entire dbus mess, which is yet another thing I have to try to understand
Thanks
Kendell clark

B. Henry wrote:
Good points as well. Of course it's always best to get applications
to have code that complies with best accessibility practices, but
that being said not only might it sometimes be easier  to work
around issues if an app is not that well written, and I suspect
there will be times when lead devs may not be willing to accept
accessibility patches sadly, and at least for a time orca may have
to give more than it really ideally would. Also there are
relatively minor, but potentially rather helpful features that a
less than stellar coder could probably add to Orca, e.g. the
progress-bar beeps that have been discussed here a couple of times.
 I suspect there's plenty of work to go around in c++, python and
other languages...smiles