Re: [orca-list] beginning work on an NVDA like controller

hi
I thought this thread was dead. i'm glad it's not. Ideally what I'd
like to do is either a, load orca's config file, parse it to get the
speech rate, pitch, synth, voice, etc and direct either orca or
speech-dispatcher to speak using those parameters. Or b, use whatever
pidgin uses to cause orca to speak. Pidgin almost never fails to speak
unless I have it set not to, or if I have speech turned off. Going
through orca seems the more direct way, because I could then call
orca.braille(message) or whatever it is. But if I import any modules
of orca while orca is running, orca freezes until they're unloaded,
giving orca control over them again. I stand by what I said before. I
think this would be useful in certain circumstances, not all. Mud
clients would be a particularly good one. I need to see how pidgin
makes orca speak, and presumably braille as well. I'm not sure on this
one because I don't have a braille display. But if orca speaks, and
brailles, whatever at-spi gives it, then speaking through at spi would
bypass orca entirely, but still give me what I want.

Thanks
Kendell clark

Mike Ray wrote:
Hello,

I too have not read back over the entirety of this thread but, it
seems to me that what is required does not necessarily need to
involve Orca at all.

It would be very easy to write a shared library which can be linked
into any application and which provides the same kind of functions
as the aforementioned 'NVDA Controller Client'.

The NVDA CC provides basically three functions:

* Is NVDA running? * Speak string * Braille string

A shared library that directly links to eSpeak and which will do
the following is easy:

* Speak, potentially interpreting embedded SSML

Not sure if the same level of API access exists in brltty.

Because of the ability of eSpeak to handle SSML it would be
possible, for example, to get applications that are calling it to
speak in a different voice to the one currently selected in Orca.
So, for example, a MUDD client could speak in one voice while Orca
is speaking in the other.

While this is a trivial job, like the NVDA Controller-Client,
applications which use it will have to specifically be written or
altered to use it.

I have briefly looked at the at-spi code and it is a forest.  Hard
to get a handle on, but it's my guess that calling it to get it to
speak (via Orca) probably isn't that hard.

An easier way of going back over previous utterances in a MUDD
client might be to open it in a shell inside Emacspeak(?)  Question
mark because neither have I used shells inside Emacspeak very much,
and my dalliance with MUDD didn't last 24 hours before my attention
span exploded :)

Mike