Re: [orca-list] beginning work on an NVDA like controller

hi
Nods, what storm said. I originally came up with this idea because of
the tintin sound pack for alter aeon, but it might be useful for otehr
apps too. It's not a substitute for proper accessibility, but let me
try and elaborate a bit. I read lots of books, and when I'm in firefox
reading a book and a tell on alter aeon comes in, I get a sound
letting me know it. I then have to alt tab back to alteraeon window,
which isn't hard. But due to alt tab issues in mate this is sometimes
slow, but it always works. I press the key combination to replay back
the last tell to me. WHich, because of terminal emulator issues in
orca it's not always read. If this were implemented, orca would just
interrupt itself with the tell, email, whatever, and then continue
reading. Saves me time and, tbh, is just plain convenient.
Thanks
Kendell clark

Alex Midence wrote:
You'd have to build a Say function into the Orca code and a display
function for the braille that allows you to pass arguments to it
then.  You would then need to find a way to get at the notification
text.  Something like:

while MessageText = true { Say (MessageTextContents); Display
(MessageTextContents); }

The hardest part will be filling the MessageText and
MessageTextContents variables.  This is where an api would come in
handy or you can OCR the text on the screen I guess and then have
the OCR engine return the results.  Probably want a container for
them like a vector so you can hold multiple values in some sort of
a history.  Probably want some sort of timer for how long the
message appears on the braille display function too.   Again, this
is pure conjecture on my part.  Just doing some brainstorming.
You'll probably get suggestions a thousand times better from more
accomplished and experienced coders than your humble servant.

Hth, Alex M

-----Original Message----- From: orca-list