From: orca-list [mailto:orca-list-bounces gnome org] On Behalf Of Joanmarie Diggs
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2014 6:52 AM
To: Halim sahin; orca-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [orca-list] beginning work on an NVDA like controller

On 12/11/2014 11:24 AM, Halim sahin wrote:
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/commits-list/2014-June/msg01039.html
Afaik this functionality allowed other apps to use orca for speech output.

Actually that code was not implemented, let alone being called. So even if it were not removed, other apps
could not use Orca for speech output.

Having said that, Orca is a screen reader; not an app that others can use to make their app speak whatever
they want. So if the functionality being proposed is screen-reader functionality, it should be included in
Orca. If the functionality is not screen-reader functionality, then Orca should not be used to provide it. If
the latter is the case, and the problem is just wanting consistent voice settings, Orca can expose those
speech settings.

Hope this helps.
--joanie