Re: [orca-list] Built in Controls for Espeak Pretty Please with Sugar, cheeries, whatever it takes on top :)

I have had, and think I still do have a very open mind re this subject, and do not object at all to a
multi-pronged
strategy, e.g. developing a direct driver for espeak, or any other tts for that matter as well as working to
improve
speech-dispatcher, and if devs who know magnitudes more than I think a complete rewrite, or new piece of
software will be
less of a hassle to develop, and or more efficient in the long term, well that should not be taken off the
table.
Just a couple of things to add, basically to add to what Thomas, Hadi and others have said.

I alm an espeak user. I used it, and liked it better than eloquence for English after a short adaptation
period. I do not
remember if this was a few days or as long as a few weeks, but it was certainly not months, or even a month.
The key word
in that last sentence was English.
I have put off working with J.D., the espeak dev to try and improve the other language I use a lot, Spanish.
I am not sure
however if we can actually achieve good enough results any time soon, and maybe not ever to satisfy me. I'll
never know
until I do what ever I can to help in this project, but even if things succeed beyond my most optimistic
thoughtts espeak,
the ibmtts, dectalk or what ever syntyh will not do it for everyone. For the record the ibmtts  Spanish voice
is very good
iin my and many native speakers' opinions, and svox-pico is not bad at all as far as over all tone and accent
goes for
Spanish or French, and I do not like these vvoices that much for English. They too have their limitations,
especially at
high speeds.,
OK, going off topic with my short reviews of the voices there, but the point is yes, for a number of reasons
we do need a
quality voice for as many languages as possible, and it is certainly valuable to have an api that can be used
by programs
other than orca.
For my first years using Linux I mostly used speechd-up for working with espeak, but for a number of reasons
I'm using
espeakup not only on cli only systems, but now also on arch with a GUI, and may well have to go a sinmilar
route on Ubuntu
and other Debian based distros. I do not particularly like having to use the separate bridge between synths
and my other
screenreader, and espeakup is for espeak only, so again a limitatioin.
I think those who are in a position to do actual coding and or analize based on knowledge need to have the
conversation
and try and alocate limited resources in the most efficient manner possible.
Of course in open source projects, one does what one wants mostly, and only sometimes can be influenced to do
something
more or different to satisfy a group goal, but I would encourage people to try hard to work together and come
to as close
to consensus as possible. Beyond that, if you can't stand the near consensus opinion and goal(s), by all
means do what
ever you can do well enough to help yourself and others. I just don't want to see say a speechdispatcher
alternative get
just enough support to get a project started, but not get it to a viable point, or not get it working better
than
speechdispatcher while others are giviing just enough to speechdispatcher to keep it alive but not markedly
improve the
pace of improvement. Our resources seem pretty few to be fragmenting efforts.
Just some thoughts, based on little concrete information as to coding posibilities, but based more on
observing how
fragmentation works and does not work in other projects.
If we had the dev base that open/libre offices have that would be one thing, but in our case I'm asking if
there's the man
and woman power to see quick progress on multiple projects, and if so, why hae we not seen progress on what
projects we
already have?
As for Orca priorities I am very impressed with how our fearless leader and the other folks who contribute to
orca have
set priorties since I've been aware of orca.
I thank all the ppl who've worked on orca, Luke and anyoone else who's worked on speechdispatcher, which does
generally
work well for me in spite of some serious problems, Fred and others who are working on QT, and all who work
on
accessibility at Mozila GTK devs, at-spi, and others I do not know ab out or do not remember right now.  A
lot has been
done right, but so much more needs to be done. Keep the faith!
--
B.H.