Re: [orca-list] Built in Controls for Espeak Pretty Please with Sugar, cheeries, whatever it takes on top :)

hi
I could get behind this. You make a lot of points. I myself switch
between eloq and espeak at the moment, although it is mostly because
of some recent changes in espeak's US english which makes it hard to
listen to, which I'm trying to fix. The problem as I see it is again,
developer resources. The few people that know enough about any of this
stuff to actually make a difference are so busy they can barely manage
the stuff they do now, let alone add more to their plate. Unless more
people start trying to learn the various languages this stuff is
written in, and I count myself out, I can maybe learn python, if I try
hard enough, but c and c++ are just out of the question, we're going
to be stuck in this loop. Stuff needs to get done, but no one has the
time/interest/desire/whatever to do it, so nothing is done. I'm
constantly being told how the daisy format sucks, for example. It's a
blind specific format, and it's bulky, and clunky, etc. Switch to
format x. Great idea, in theory. But bookshare produces only daisy
books, and brf files, which are even harder to work with. More blind
specific software needs to be written and actually maintained, not
half written, discarded, and left  for someone else to pick up. I've
made up my mind at least. I'm going to try to learn python at least
well enough to help out orca where I can, and if I'm really lucky,
improve on that dbr (daisy book reader) fork I made but never did much
with.
Thanks
Kendell clark