Re: [orca-list] new linux distro, with apology to Robert Cole

Daniel Barich sent this message:
# There's already a command-line Talking Archlinux which I've used a
little bit:
#
# https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux_for_the_blind

Yes, it's great! I always have a Talking Arch on hand for any number of
tasks, from rescue and recovery to installing a new OS on an old
machine. Probably the main difference is that where Arch uses the
install scripts, which I personally like, but are feared by many, Sonar
will have a command line installer that will make installation easier.
Also, we have the ability to automatically enable the dialogopts thing
that we had to do manually back when Talking Arch had a similar
menu-driven installer, which will make Speakup read our installer
correctly without user intervention. The other difference is that we're
not limited in the packages we put on the iso. Where Talking Arch is a
dual-architecture image that fits on a CD, we should still be able to
fit a single-architecture Sonar image on a CD while including more
packages on the system. This can give the command line user a lot more
included things such as more choices of text editors, web browsers, mail
clients, IRC applications, music players and more. I don't think we'll
be trying to throw in everything but the kitchen sink, but we do want a
command line experience that is as well-rounded as our desktop spins.
~Kyle
http://kyle.tk/
--
"Kyle? ... She calls her cake, Kyle?"