Re: [orca-list] Video interceptor

Hello,
Back in the days when Windows 3.1 and later on Windows 95 came out, there was no accessibility API. Screen reader users over the world were afraid to use a new system because initially it was not accessible. Makers of commercial screen readers tried to used all the available API's to make the OS at least basically accessible. They have used Windows specific API's and even used video interceptor for so called screen scraping. However in linux the situation is completelly different and is even not derived from what we are tallking about here. On linux since orca exists there is an accessibility API orca can use in order to inspect the desktop and running applications. Orca is using a library called at-spi2-core which started as at-spi back in the days. This library is a kind of a bridge between orca or any other AT and the accessibility toolkit doing all the work. It's called ATK. Then at the other side of ATK to say it easily are individual graphical toolkits creating their controls such as Gnome shell, GTK, QT and others.

This may not be perfectly accurate how the accessibility is working in linux, but it at least gives basic overview. Additionally I am not expert on this and this is just how I understand it.

Greetings

Peter