Re: [orca-list] Is Linux suitable for non-programmer/computer scientists?

Not for newbies.  Not that one can expect you to understand this sort of
thing, mind.  This is not the first time people have tried to reason with
you on this point with no success.  You are bound and determined that
everyone regardless of their proficiency with using Linux should use the
bleeding edge packages with the very latest versions possible on the very
latest distributions or, even, on unstable, unreleased, still
under-construction versions of it.  You have blinded yourself (yes, I did
use that word on purpose!) to the possibility that this will cause
unnecessary frustration to those who have yet to acquire the knowledge and
skills they would need to troubleshoot any issues that arise from packages
that have not been thoroughly tested and that still cause things to break
from time to time.  A better recipe for turning people off of Linux I would
be hard pressed to devise.  If newbies listen to your advice, they will run
screaming back to Mac and windows so fast they'll break the sound barrier.
There are reasons, very good reasons, for the existence of versions labeled,
stable, unstable or testing or something along those lines.  There are also
very good reasons for people to choose to stay away from anything under
development.  There are abundant and enormously compelling reasons for a new
person to stay clear of distributions whose accessibility is incomplete.
This is especially true if they are going to do anything productive with
them and therefore wish to avoid having to spend hours and hours tracking
down a snafu.  We know you use and like the latest version of Ubuntu.  We
know you use and like the yet unreleased version of it.  This is your
personal choice and you have the time and expertise necessary to handle it.
Others do not.

Alex M