[orca-list] Is Linux suitable for non-programmer/computer scientists?

Hi All,

I don't post too often but read this list with great interest.

I'm not going to go into my reasons here, but I am beginning to think that my current  access solution could
be in the process of stagnating.

I would be very sad to say goodbye to it, but the time might come when such a course is necessary.

Reading the list suggests that a great deal of command line knowledge and complicated bits and piece are
involved in Linux, even after all of this time.  I'm not exactly a command line newbie, but many of you are
far more conversant than I am.

Do any of you have  any suggestions where I might start if I did decide to jump on the Linux band wagon
please? I have been reading a lot about Ubuntu and it seems to be the favourite among many.

Thank you and please feel free to write to me off-list if you prefer.

Take care
James