Re: [orca-list] Is Linux suitable for non-programmer/computer scientists?

You don't need to use the command line or know a lot of complicated bits to use Linux. It's definitely not just for programmers and computer scientists. This list is about Orca, which is a screen reader for the graphical desktop. Of course, knowing and using the command line opens some things up to you but it's not necessary to use Linux.

I'd suggest starting off with Ubuntu 12.04. You just need to hit the control+s key once you hear the drums. Another option is vinux 3.0.2 or the beta of vinux 4 which is based on Ubuntu and just comes up talking.