Re: [orca-list] How many people us voxin?

There is definitely a better voice, and it's free. There are several ways to make Pico run with speech-dispatcher, and that voice actually sounds better than eSpeak, if you feel that eSpeak gives you a headache. There is a generic configuration file already available for Pico in speech-dispatcher, and a modified version using my very own PicoSpeaker interface is also available. My Pico build on Arch Linux is currently broken, but as soon as I can rebuild it, I will do so. For other distros, Pico is likely already included, and definitely sounds better than Voxin, without all the bugs and other risks.

Additionally, the Google voices that come with Android 4.0 are free software, licensed by the Nagoya Institute of Technology under a BSD-style license, and sound very good, even better than Pico. Sadly I haven't yet found the source code with a working build system that can make it build correctly, and at the moment lack the skills necessary to put together the correct build scripts. These voices should be available from the Android 4.0 git tree, and should be relatively trivial to port to desktop Linux. In fact, I would go out on a limb and say that they are probably easier to port to desktop Linux than Voxin is to setup, and again, none of the risks associated with running very badly outdated core libraries would be present if running these voices. I am still looking for a direct link to the Google TTS voices from Android 4.0, or better yet, the NiTech source code itself before the Google branding, and if I can find it, I'll post it here.
~Kyle
http://kyle.tk/
--
"Kyle? ... She calls her cake, Kyle?"