Re: [orca-list] how to identify in the dash if an application is running

Luke Yelavich <themuso ubuntu com> wrote:

The shell, whether it be GNOME shell or whatever, would set the accessible
name for the app in question. Being a part of the shell, its running state
can be retrieved, and the accessible name set accordingly. Orca then reads
the accessible name, and no extra effort on Orca's part is required to
convey application running state.

I fully understood how it worked; I just don't like it - it seems to be a
kludge that modifies the name as a work-around for lack of a proper API
mechanism to supply the application's running/not-running state.

The problem is that if an AT needs to separate out the actual name from the
state information, it has to analyze the string, presumably, which, if I
understand rightly, is internationalized. It would be better to convey the
state separately, in my judgment, even though it does involve a little work on
the Orca side.