Re: [orca-list] how to identify in the dash if an application is running

On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 03:07:38PM EST, Jason White wrote:
Luke Yelavich <themuso ubuntu com> wrote:

I'd have to look at the Unity 2D code to see how things are dealt with there
in terms of translation, but if I were writing an atk implementation for
such a thing, I'd probably make the application state a translatable string,
i.e translate "running", and then concatinate both strings together for the
accessible name. The only possible problem I can think of is rtl languages,
or languages where such information needs to be conveyed differently, but
given I am only an English speaker, I can't truely work this one out.

A further difficulty is that one could not obtain the accessible name of the
application without also retrieving its state (as running or not). I think it
would be better to keep the two separate.

The shell, whether it be GNOME shell or whatever, would set the accessible name for the app in question.
Being a part of the shell, its running state can be retrieved, and the accessible name set accordingly. Orca
then reads the accessible name, and no extra effort on Orca's part is required to convey application running
state.

Luke