Re: [orca-list] Proposal: Eliminate the "gui setup" command line options

Hi Joanie,

I agree that most of those setup options can and probably should be eliminated. Although, I'm a bit concerned about this move to put all of Orca's options into the control center. I understand the design logic behind this, but I have some concerns about doing so.

1. If Orca's settings do become a part of control center will I still be able to use insert+space to go directly to Orca's settings or will I have to go to the top panel, find my user name, arrow down to System Settings, arrow to the Universal Access option, find the Orca settings tab, etc?

For me this is a serious concern because I often open Orca's preferences to switch between synths or to change settings like punctuation on the fly. If I have to spend a minute or two getting to Orca's settings where insert+space takes seconds to access the same settings currently I think that would be a huge step in the wrong direction.

2. With the number of desktops in development and being upgraded with a11y support wouldn't it make more sense to have a central place for Orca's settings? If Orca's settings do become a part of Gnome's control center how does a person using KDE, Lxde, Xfce, get access to Orca's settings?

Yeah, I understand that KDE or whoever may have to write their own control center settings for Orca, but that seems to me to be reinventing the wheel. In the meantime before they do that are we forced to log out of the session, log into Gnome, change Orca's settings, log out of Gnome, and back into KDE?

Basically, as a Orca user I want to know how this change will effect me. How much work will I have to do to access those preferences, or will there be some effort made to maintain the current ease of use by pressing insert+space to go directly to Orca's preferences?

Cheers!