Re: [orca-list] Ubuntu 12.10 and beyond, Unity 2D will no longer be maintained.

Hi Krishnakant,

Agreed. I don't usually upgrade everything between LTS releases anyway so if it takes until Ubuntu 14for Unity 3D to become fully accessible I don't mind. I can stick with Unity 2D and/or the Gnome Shell until then. I usually only install intermediate releases on a test box either for development purposes or to test what's coming down the pipeline for the next LTS. I've always just used stable LTS releases for mass deployment. In this case 12.04 will be supported up to 2017 so even if Ubuntu 14 doesn't pan out we'll still have bug fixes and support for 12 until Ubuntu 16 rolls out.

Which brings up an issue. You talk about an average user upgrading say once a year even though that isn't strictly necessary. I would think the average users would upgrade to LTS releases which are usually stable and generally well tested beforehand. The intermediate releases while usually stable only have support for about six months before the next intermediate release is rolled out. I really don't see why anyone would put those on production machines just because of the hassle of backing up data, upgrading, and then restoring anything needed from backups. Meanwhile the LTS release continues to get patches, bug fixes, and updated software packages without the hassle of a massive upgrade and backup and restore.

Cheers!