Re: [orca-list] Ubuntu 12.10 and beyond, Unity 2D will no longer be maintained.

Hi Luke,

Yes, that makes perfect sense to me. While it does seem like a setback
in the short term for Ubuntu users as far as accessibility goes there
are still other choices. AS I mentioned earlier on this thread I'm
happily using Gnome Shell on a couple of systems and if unity 2D gets
scrapped I can always install Gnome Shell 3.6 etc and use that until
Unity 3D has reasonable accessibility. The other option is, as you
pointed out, to simply stick with 12.04 until 14 is out which gives us
two years of updates and Unity 2D, Gnome Shell, etc. So I don't think
waiting two years for the next LTS release as a huge problem long
term. I pretty much did that with 10.04 to 12.04 and it worked out
fine for me for the long hall.

Plus as I have pointed out many times Unity 2D seems pretty unstable.
Others have commented on the fact Compiz is buggy and Mutter is a
better window manager etc. So if we could focus our attention on
getting Unity 3D accessible rather than chasing our tails getting
unity 2D and Compiz fixed we'll be further ahead in the long run.

Cheers!