Re: [orca-list] Festival

If you ever heard a Braille 'n Speak from the 1990's, Festival's default English voice kinda sounds like that, but with slightly better inflection. Other languages may work better, but I'm not sure. If you have eSpeak working, I would recommend sticking with it. Festival can run other voices, but I'm not sure that they are supported by speech-dispatcher, and the last time I tried to get an alternate Festival voice speaking, which granted was several years ago, speech-dispatcher was by far the easiest way to try to configure it, as Festival's configuration files are not as easy to read as other speech synthesizers. Having said this, if you can get Festival talking and can figure out how it works, it is quite extensible, and it is even possible to create new voice data for it in any language you speak. The default voices are probably not as good as eSpeak, but because of its extensibility, it has great potential.

On a related note, I thought it used to be possible to get FreeTTS, which if I remember correctly, is a Java reimplementation of Festival, working in speech-dispatcher. Is this still possible/does FreeTTS even work now? Or is it rather pointless to try to make it work if one already has Festival talking?
~Kyle