Re: [orca-list] Using Ubuntu all the way now

Hi Krishnakant,

Yes, Windows has changed quite a lot since the Windows XP days. You
see, when Microsoft released Windows Vista they basically ripped out
the classic desktop we all knew and loved and replaced it with a new
graphically enhanced 3d desktop called Windows Arrow. While
graphically superior to XP's user interface its also a major memory
and CPU hog.

According to Microsoft's bare minimum requirements, mind you for the
OS itself without applications, Windows 7 requires a 1 GHZ processor,
1 GB of ram, 4 GB of hard drive space, and at least a 16bit video card
with 800x600 resolution. That's four times the basic requirements of
XP, and we haven't even got started with screen readers, OCR
applications, Office suites, or anything else you may run on it.

Most IT professionals, myself included, recommend doubling everything
on the requirements list just to run day to day applications, and to
get reasonable system performance. In fact, I have a duel core 2 GHZ
processor, 4 GB of ram, and my video card is set to 32-bit color
1024x768 and Windows 7 still runs like a dog at times. Of course,
Ubuntu 11.04, which I am running on a separate partition on the same
machine, runs super fast on the same hardware. Individually they run
fine, but when I tried to run Win 7 in Virtualbox my system slowed
down considerably. It would take a couple of seconds from the time I
pressed control escape before the start menu would appear, and loading
Visual Studio .NET took a full minute to load. It was awful. That's
when I blew everything away and repartitioned my drive so I could run
Linux and Windows separately.

Cheers!