Re: [orca-list] Trying Quantal Quetsal Alpha 3

I use pdftotext all the time with a good deal of success. As a side note, is there any similar tool yet that
can convert a PDF document to an ODF format or Latex or similar open and unencumbered format that is not
controlled by a single company? These things are just as cross-platform and can be made just as secure. In
fact, for security, nothing beats an encrypted filesystem. I will say again, why in the world did so many
people come to let a single company (Adobe) get so much control over our documents? BTW, I read somewhere
that one state in the U.S. either switched or tried to switch all their public documents to ODF, but when
they did this, there was a huge outcry from  visually impaired people who, instead of complaining about this
somehow being bad for accessibility, should have instead worked with developers to either make existing
applications accessible to screen readers or develop new applications to read and write ODF documents.
~Kyle
--
Kyle is a droid.
The whole world knows it