Re: [orca-list] thunderbird getting bad to worst, is evolution a good choice?

Hello

First of all: dashhes, slashes and backslashes are Pines busy indicator, it looks like rotating bar indicating pine is busy while doing something, most probably scanning your inbox. You cannot do much during this time. Wait until there there is a message at status line saying 'inbox opened with xx messages' or something similar.

If you have lot of mail traffic and not need to access your mail from many computers i'll recommend to configure a local incoming mailbox and use for example fetchmail to download your mail from the server.

To cancel your composed message just select cancel. Yes menas to send the message, no means to continue writing it and cancel means to ignore whole message. ^C meands ctrl-C.

At any time during writing of the message you can press ctrl-O to postpone a message, ie put it into drafs folder that pine calls postponed messages.

There is a key menu at the bottom of the screen, just remember that ^ at the beginning of shurtcut means ctrl + given key.

HTH

--
mr. M01510 & guide Loadstone-GPS
Lat: 62.38718, lon: 25.64672

 krishnakant Mane kirjoitti> Hello,
I am really confused.
I am sure that I must be doing some thing wrong here.
I type alpine and after some time it does ask for a password.
after that it only keeps saying "/ \" or "___".
I press "i" and nothing happens, no list coming.
I do a lot of  stuff like ctr + i or "c" for cancel.
after a lot of such actions, I get a line saying "waited for 15
seconds, still waiting ".
again I press "i" because by now Orca stops saying /\ and all that.
Still no list of emails.
further more, I never understood the suspence behind composing an
email from alpine.
what if I wish to cancel the sending of email?
It never works with me.
I only went pass pressing ctrl + x and it asks me if I wish to send
"y, yes, n, no and c, cancel " I type n and enter.
I am back in the compose area and can't find a way to get out of it..
I think alpine needs a lot of practice, because checking the help is
not really helping.
Or may be given my large inbox, i must wait for an hour at least to
get all the emails downloaded?
As a side note, I herd that alpine is no longer supported.  Is this an
advantage or disadvantage I can't say,
one advantage is that given all the features of alpine are good enough
for use and are accessible, we have a stable software for long long
time to come.
but disadvantage is that if we have a bug which I am sure we have,
there will be no one to fix it.
What do you all think?
In any case I will configure mutt and try my hand at it.
Happy hacking.
Krishnakant.