Re: [orca-list] XFCE (was Re: Wiki Edits)

Hi,
I am still very new with Arch myself. I have it running oon an older computer that seems to work great for a few minutes, then all of a sudden it gets a bad case of the jitters, the sound and video both skip badly for a minute or so, then it returns to normal. I'm not sure why it does it, but I though maybe it was because it couldn't handle much processing at a time. So I put XFCE on it. Being a newbie though, I just followed the instructions on the Arch wiki, I didn't build anything from scratch.
I do have GTK3 because pacman -Qi gtk3 returns the following
Name           : gtk3
Version        : 3.0.12-1
URL            : http://www.gtk.org/
Licenses       : LGPL
Groups         : None
Provides       : None
Depends On     : atk  cairo  gtk-update-icon-cache  libcups  libxcursor
libxinerama  libxrandr  libxi  libxcomposite  libxdamage  pango
shared-mime-info
Optional Deps  : None
Required By    : gconf  libunique3
Conflicts With : None
Replaces       : None
Installed Size : 32659.00 K
Packager       : Ionut Biru <ibiru archlinux org>
Architecture   : i686
Build Date     : Tue 02 Aug 2011 07:18:48 AM EDT
Install Date   : Sat 03 Sep 2011 08:55:46 PM EDT
Thanks
Storm
--
Vinux Publicity Coordinator: http://www.vinuxproject.org/
Registered Linux user number 508465: http://counter.li.org/

On Sun, 2011-09-11 at 22:30 -0400, Joanmarie Diggs wrote:
Hey guys.

> Hey, this sounds exciting; an opportunity to try another desktop.

Yeah, I'm pretty jazzed. I'm still in the "building from scratch whilst
taking notes" stage, but hopefully I'll have something to post soon.

> Storm, When you rolled your XFCE environment, did you use the standard
> issue of gtk3 or did you poll something later.

XFCE wants gtk+ 2. The orca-xdesktop branch likewise does not depend on
gtk+ 3. Having said that....

> from the AUR doesn't build unless we dig up a later version of gtk3
> and I haven't attempted that yet because so many other packages rely
> on gtk3 as currently installed.

Any chance you could dig that stuff up in Arch? I'd really like to see
the introspection changes get some proper, thorough end-user testing
before code freeze. Mainly to make sure that I didn't miss or break
anything (it was a huge change). But I'd also like to get some feedback
on the performance improvements that we seem to have gotten just by
doing the introspection work. Orca seems a lot snappier to me now.

Thanks and take care.
--joanie