Re: [orca-list] Libre Distros--wasRe: Latest Version of Orca

On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 11:50:02AM -0400, kendell clark wrote:
hi
I might just install this. Is it possible to play mp3 or flash videos
with this distro? If  so I'm going to download it and give it a try. Mp3
is no big deal, but I have a huge collection of mp3's I want to convert
into ogg, but i'm hesitant to do so, because i've heard that converting
from one lossy format to another makes them sound worse. Any advice?

Hm, if it's without the non-free stuff (like Debian) then you'd need
to go add that stuff back in to play mp3s. I remember needing to
download gstreamer plugins (called "bad" and "really-bad", lawlz)
and ffmpeg to get music programs like Banshee or Totem to play them.

Same with Flash. However downloading these files wasn't difficult.

-Mallory