Re: [orca-list] Structural HTML navigation by lists

Am 26.01.2011 16:19, schrieb Michael Whapples:
Hello,
You say you don't get the number of keypresses argument. Here goes: As I
have stated in previous messages your list idea is certainly optional in
use, I gave myself as an example of someone who never needs to use it
and others also have said so, we can get around web pages perfectly fine
with the previous/next element keys already existing. You mentioned flat
review, which I have shown is needed, and so possibly deserves the space
of the numpad as it currently occupies. Optional features generally I
don't think should dominate the keyboard so much unless they have a
strong reason.

[...]

I think I have misunderstood you. You have written key presses, as I see
now. But I was thinking you are talking about keybindings/shortcuts. Sorry.

Now to my comment that we are dealing with orca in gnome. My point here
is that it doesn't matter what other screen reader users do, those
screen readers have their own history for why certain things went
certain ways and possibly have different target audiences. As an example
to this, users of windows screen readers are more likely to include
those users who just want to buy a computer and for things to work,
where as Linux users are more likely to want to explore/modify/tweak
there computer systems. I think a strong proposal for features for orca
should be strong independent of what other screen readers do, so should
not need reference to what other screen readers do and should deal with
such questions like: Why might an orca user want it? How does it improve
on what orca does at the moment?

This is largely true. But in case of this lists it's an existing feature
request in bugzilla and it's part of Orca's roadmap. Therefore, I am
sure that this isn't such an useless feature.

However, I agree that we can save keybindings if we using the menu,
instead of the treeview.

Greetings
Marcus