Re: [orca-list] Structural HTML navigation by lists

Am 21.01.2011 17:10, schrieb Steve Holmes:
We've had the comparison issues between screen readers in the past.  I
don't want to see Orca implement something just because Jaws has it,
nor do I want something to be implemented like jaws just just because some
people in windows use jaws.  I for one, don't do jaws and have no
intentions of doing so.  If it just so happens that a feature is well
implemented in jaws, then do it; otherwise, if there is a better way,
I would rather see that instead.

I agree with you completely. To me it's not about that JAWS has
individual lists. Only I am of the opinion that there is a reason that
two different screen readers have individual lists.

In the case of all these lists for
different HTML widgets, I think the treeview approach wouldn't be so
bad but at the very least, I like the idea of a two letter command to
pop them up.  this way, you don't lose so many hot keys right off the
bat for a single feature. The first letter of the two-letter command
could open the single dialog for HTML widgets which could actually be
a treeview.  Then the second letter would corespond to the types of
elements we now have for structural navigation but also take you to
the matching node in this tree.  This way, if one didn't know all the
possible element types, you could brows this treeview and subsequently
learn the shortcuts to get to these nodes directly in the future.

So this way, you have the treeview approach but commands to take you
to separate lists.

I also think that it's better to have both. One list with all objects
and separated lists.

Greetings
Marcus