Re: [orca-list] Structural HTML navigation by lists

Hello,
You say you don't get the number of keypresses argument. Here goes: As I have stated in previous messages your list idea is certainly optional in use, I gave myself as an example of someone who never needs to use it and others also have said so, we can get around web pages perfectly fine with the previous/next element keys already existing. You mentioned flat review, which I have shown is needed, and so possibly deserves the space of the numpad as it currently occupies. Optional features generally I don't think should dominate the keyboard so much unless they have a strong reason.

So you may ask why do the previous/next element keys in firefox dominate so much of the keyboard? While I don't know if this was the original reason, I would make the following argument, lets consider the impact on use if these were to be made second level keypresses (IE. two keypresses to get to the feature). If the previous/next element keys were made second level each navigation would go from one keypress to two, therefore doubling the keypresses!

Now what is the impact of making list of headings, list of links, etc second level (eg. through a menu with submenus)? I would guess the aim of the list idea is to get you where you want in one go, therefore it is an action you would do once for a given navigation. Now how many keypresses might a navigation of this sort take on average, may be half a dozen, one to get the list, average of four to find the item and one to press enter on the item (correct me if you find from experience otherwise). So adding in one more keypress to make it second level, this impacts on the user with an increase of keypresses by one sixth. I think we can agree the impact on these users is significantly much less than in the previous/next element navigation.

While you have made the case that the keyboard has many keys and we are unlikely to run out of combinations, I think you need to be reminded that keypresses should make some sort of sense and some combinations may just be difficult to do. We have already had an example where we have run out of keys which make sense, in the previous/next element navigation the keys generally mapped to the first letter of the element type, but combo box and check box both begin with c so check box had to become something else.

Now to my comment that we are dealing with orca in gnome. My point here is that it doesn't matter what other screen reader users do, those screen readers have their own history for why certain things went certain ways and possibly have different target audiences. As an example to this, users of windows screen readers are more likely to include those users who just want to buy a computer and for things to work, where as Linux users are more likely to want to explore/modify/tweak there computer systems. I think a strong proposal for features for orca should be strong independent of what other screen readers do, so should not need reference to what other screen readers do and should deal with such questions like: Why might an orca user want it? How does it improve on what orca does at the moment?

Michael Whapples