Re: [orca-list] scope of this list

Hey Gang.

On Mon, 2011-08-15 at 18:28 -0500, Christopher Chaltain wrote:

[...]

way to keep people on topic. By "liberal" I didn't mean anything goes, I
just meant that we need to have a broad concept of what it means to be
Orca related.

I agree.

 Orca is just such an intrinsic part of the system for a
blind person, it may not be clear to the user if they're seeing
something related to Orca or something else in the system or
application.

I think this is a reasonable assumption. And I think that it is not
unreasonable to classify things as "on topic" if they specifically
pertain to using upstream Orca with upstream tools. The latter being
definitely GNOME, and possibly KDE/Qt -- depending on what that
community wishes to do.

 I'm just afraid that if we try to adhere to closely to one
persons concept of what is and is not on topic for Orca that we could
create more traffic--in arguing about what is and is not on topic--than
we would eliminate.

You mean like we are heading towards now. <grins>

I guess I'm saying that we should err on the side of
a question being on topic if it's close, and put our emphasis in
redirecting posts that are clearly off topic.

Agreed.

Unfortunately, any moderation is going to frustrate some users.

And this is why I've tried to avoid doing so. And not counting all those
'test' messages which -- should they persist in the future -- I am
indeed tempted to moderate, I personally do not think the list has
gotten that flooded or that out of control.

I personally like having a more open and relaxed community in which we
all constructively discuss free and open accessibility solutions for
users who are blind. One in which our guiding principles are common
sense and respect for others rather than netiquette documents.

Take care.
--joanie (Orca project lead and module co-maintainer)