Re: [orca-list] is ubuntu 11.04 worth a try with Orca?

Hi Alex and others,

I don't work for Canonical, I am just part of the community, I can't make changes to Unity or the overall strategy, I was just trying to describe the expected future direction from what I can see. It is pretty hard these days to purchase a computer that doesn't have 3d hardware. Any Intel motherboard from the Atom chip upwards has 3d, anything with an AMD or Nvidia card of any description does 3d. I actually think it is reasonable to suggest that right now it is *hard* to purchase anything that won't run Unity. It doesn't need good 3d, it doesn't need a screaming hot gaming rig, it just needs something that does a bit of OpenGL. I don't think anything with graphics on the motherboard won't do 3d and I don't think you can buy a separate PCI card that won't do 3d. Having a look around the only Intel architecture things I can find that won't do 3d are really small almost embedded computers not based on standard motherboards which are designed to mount on the back of monitors. The other things that won't do 3d are ARM chip based devices. I expect the unity-2d effort is actually there because they need it to go on ARM based netbooks, however I am a bit surprised that there are not more ARM devices with 3d. Graphics chip designers kind of gave up on 2d ages ago, there is now so much silicon on a GPU dedicated to throwing 3d stuff about the screen that it is much faster to just treat 2d as just a special case of 3d where everything happens to be on a flat plane.

In terms of things that won't work the S3 graphic chipset from a few years back that uses the openchrome drivers probably won't work (they mostly have 3d hardware, but the driver for that part isn't fully there). AMD geode chip such as the OLPC XO-1 won't do it. Old Intel boards from the pre-netbook era probably won't work as there was a architecture in the Intel drivers that meant they stopped working with Compiz after about Hardy Heron (I have a basic Dell desktop from 2002 that falls into this category - the hardware could run Unity, if the driver wasn't broken - actually I will check again and see if it has been fixed)

Alan.