Re: [orca-list] [Fwd: Default button of Orca]

Hello,
Yes that sounds like my preferred idea. I believe it is possible to have a caret in a text box which is read only and so the user could read with arrow keys. To move to the other buttons, I think pressing tab will get the user out of the text box and on to the buttons. Exactly what should be in this "Introductory information box" is still to be determined but it should include basic navigation of window controls and the help system so the user can get more detailed information.

Something mentioned by someone else raised another idea in my mind. I think it was Steve who suggested a set of tips on start up, may be that could be added and then there might be a question in the initial set up "Do you want tips on start of orca? This is recommended for those who are new to orca as these will provide basic getting started information. Y/N". This also feels like an acceptable solution to me as well, as the distros I use normally I am going through initial set up and so by answering no to that question I am not bothered by something so basic I don't need. Those distros which provide configurations for orca (eg. like ubuntu seems to for the accessible install) could choose whether that configuration should have tips enabled if they feel it is appropriate for their users.

I think this is just proving to me that it is important that what is needed is considered, rather than just suggesting a solution. The original proposal (solution) put forward was unacceptable to me as it negatively impacts on existing experienced users, but other solutions serving the same purpose may work better for the beginner as well as not inconveniencing existing users.

Sorry for that last bit, I am coming to the end of a course on requirements engineering, and the idea of requirements not solutions is something I have really taken up, mainly because it seems right.

Michael Whapples