Re: [orca-list] Draft Proposed Two-Year Roadmap

Hello,
I am not sure how much value is in considering other programming languages, particularly those which would require a full reimplementation of orca as that would be much work and may not solve inefficiencies where orca/atk/at-spi/any other part of the accessibility framework is doing more work than it needs to.

I am a bit more welcoming to the idea of C/C++ extensions for python to replace components of orca as that could be done in a gradual way as and when there is time and as places where performance would really benefit from reimplementation were identified. However having said that, is C/C++ to write the extensions the best thing, I don't know as it depends on what skills are out there but there are other solutions which may fit better with the way python programmers may think. One suggestion I would make is cython (www.cython.org) or pyrex (http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/greg.ewing/python/Pyrex) which allow you to write modules in a python like syntax but have access to C libraries and then compile it into a standard C extension for python. Personally I am a bit of a C ignorant but have managed to get to grips with cython fairly quickly and use other C libraries from it. As a little bit of a note, other than python my other main programming language is Java, so it was mainly pointers in cython which took the most time for me to get to grips with.

Just my thoughts.

Michael Whapples