Re: [orca-list] I can not run eclipse with latest orca

Hi again, JosÃ.

From the 3rd of September, I no longer run eclipse with the latest
version of Orca.

I am using the latest Orca. I have so far tried typing text in the
Eclipse editor for:

* Eclipse 3.5.2 (What comes with Maverick)
* Eclipse 3.6
* Eclipse 3.7.0

No crashes. Everything is fine. Therefore I need more information from
you to figure out what you and I are doing (and/or have set up)
differently.

I am strongly inclined to believe that the problem is related to commit
adacc221f267917f46d0c3dd82f258be99491248.

If you take a look at that commit you'll see that it's actually pretty
minor. It looks a tad longer/more significant than it is because I moved
a block of code into a new method so that it could be reused.

The only real new thing is this: When an AtkObject emits an event that
we care about, we look at the object's Attributes to see if there is an
AtkObject Attribute called 'toolkit'. If there is (WebKitGtk is the only
one that has implemented this to my knowledge), we then look to see if
there is a script for named toolkit. If there is such a script we use
it. If there is not such a script, or if there is no such object
attribute, we carry on like we always do.

As a general rule, any time the complaint is: Application Foo dies when
I use Orca, but Orca continues to run as expected, there is usually some
call in Orca triggering an assertion in Foo. Based on what you've said
about the suspect commit, the only thing I can imagine it being is
obj.getAttributes().

So one thing I might try, given this:

That done, I restarted orca and ran the eclipse but the the result was
the same, eclipse died when I started to type something in the editor.

1. Look in your debug.out to find out what the triggering event was. Is
it a caret-moved event, a text-inserted event, etc.?

2. Create one of those listener scripts you've made for testing, and
have it listen for that event.

3. In the handler you create for that event, do an
event.source.getAttributes()

If Eclipse dies, you have your winner. File all the details against
Eclipse in their issue tracker.

If that does not do it, however, and you'd like me to write you a
debugging patch to help pin down what change might be triggering the
problem, let me know.

Sorry and thanks!
--joanie