Re: [orca-list] Draft Proposed Two-Year Roadmap

Hi,

I have a few thoughts / random comments / questions.  I'm copying parts
of the page before my responses.  Sorry if the formating gets messed up.

* Determine the performance benefits, if any, of re-writing Orcaâs core
* code in C/C++.*

I'll be really supprised if it doesn't help a lot, I've seen a couple
places where all python and c / python speed has been compared in the
real world, and c / python is generally a lot faster, even when almost
all the time should be spent in system calls so the speed really should
be basically the same.

Architecture Evaluation and Possible Refactor

hmm, interesting, I admit most of my understanding of how orca works is
from most likely out of date docs, the code generally doesn't make
logical sense to me.  My understanding is that basically there is just a
queue of events to be dealt with and events from pyatspi are enqueued,
and then dequeued and either a script specific or general handler is
called for the current event.  I'm not sure how else you can do what
you're trying to do.  If it isn't currently the case running the
dequeueing and enqueueing  in different threads may be a good idea for
organization and speed.

Plug-in Support For Orca

sorry, but I'm really not clear on what problem you are trying to solve
here.  What kind of thing do you expect this to help with?

     * Add an optional/non-default alternative, âWindows screen readerâ
     * presentation style, including:
               + One link per line

               *shrug* immho the way windows screen readers do that is
               really silly and anoying, but if people want it whatever.

                         + "List of" dialogs for quick access to HTML
                         elements

                         this is just generically useful.

+ Googleâs web applications

when I've used them they seem reasonable, though they could probably be
improved.  Personally I just don't like web / gui apps that much :-)

     * The GNOME Accessibility team, in collaboration with the Orca
     * team, should:

shouldn't this be freedesktop somewhat?  Yes most of the people involved
hang around gnome accessibility, but at-spi2 is officially on
freedesktop afaik, and there is really no reason for the discussion on
atk not to live there since it can be desktop independent.

   The conversion of AT-SPI from CORBA to D-Bus should make it possible
   for Orca to provide access to QT applications and KDE. Users have
   expressed
      significant interest in having access to these environments and
      also to âlight-weightâ alternative Desktop Environments.
           * Evaluate and, if possible*, implement support for core QT
   applications.

hmm, why is this in orca's todo?  yes a qt script will be needed, but
most of this should be the qt-at-spi project.

                * Evaluate and, if possible*, implement support for KDE.

                what is the difference between the above and this?  if
                the apps are supported the only other thing is starting
                at-spi2-registryd early enough.

                     * Evaluate and, if possible*, implement support for
                      additional, "light-weight" Desktop Environments.

                      I think this basically already works, we just
                      really need docs on how to get this set up.

                        * Note: Assumes AT-SPI support is properly
                         implemented in these environments.

                         I think this comes down to how we think about
                         the world.  Personally, what is needed is a
                         window manager metacity / xmonad / awssem /
                         fluxbox etc that just organizes windows on the
                         x server, such a application doesn't have to do
                         much at-spi wise it just has to emmit window
                         focused / changed I think.  THen there are what
                         are basically appications like menus etc that
                         live in the window manager and need to
                         implement atk.

   The Orca team lacks expertise in the area of Human-computer
   interaction (HCI). The team would, therefore, like to engage the HCI
   community in the hopes
      of finding experts to conduct several (i.e. two or three)
      independent studies of Orcaâs usability. Based on the results of
      those studies, the team
         would modify Orca in the hopes of providing more compelling
         access to a larger number of users.

hmm, interesting, I wonder what exactly you want to get out of this?  I
tend to think users are the best way to get feed back on ui's, that and
what I think would solve my problem best.  I tend to be a sceptic about
ivery tower hci stuff, but I freely admit this be as much a simptom of
overly dumbed down interfaces that are bad as anything else.

Increased and Improved Developer Documentation
April 2012 - October 2012

This sounds great, but I'm somewhat concerned about the timing.  My
concern is this seems somewhat like the docs can wait and I worry that
putting them off will continue say in a year you decide something else
needs to get done instead of docs and they can wait a year again.

Overall this sounds good though and I help the comments help.

Trev