I am keeping this on list mainly as it could be of interest to others.

I think what the problem is, sometimes (particularly after logging out and logging back in) gnome sometimes moves to console 8, therefore to switch back you don't use control alt f7 you use control alt f8. If speakup can say anything this indicates the console you are in is in text mode and fits with what I believe may be going on here.

Michael Whapples
On -10/01/37 20:59, Alonzo wrote:
Hey hey,
I can get nome working fine on arch... Its when I switch to a console with ctrl-alt-f1 and do something with speakup. then I switch back to x with control-alt-f7 and I cann't do anything. Speakup just says bbbbb when moving the arrows. i'm told by sighted assistance that it shows a background with a cursor, but they are not able to do anything as well. Xorg starts from udev and senses all modules fine. Not sure whats going on.

alonzo

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Holmes" <steve holmes88 gmail com>
To: <orca-list gnome org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2010 12:01 AM
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Question about installing Gnome on Archlinux

Hi Michael,

I think you are adding an extra layer of complexity here for the
starting setup.  When I did this, I did not mess with gdm at all.
Just get Arch booting fine with speakup and text consoles.  Then
install gnome and gnome-extra; I think the other dependencies will
resolve themselves without having to specify; at that worked for me
last year.  After the gnome packages are installed, then work on
getting into gnome by using 'startx' from a normal user.  From there,
try typing 'orca' from the alt-f2 run dialog.

On many distros, gdm has been very problematic including Slackware
(dropline) and Debian.  I only recently got gdm logins to talk within
the past 3 months or so and my write-up is on the wiki accordingly.
And with that, the location of where aat-spi-registryd changed with
gnome 2.30.  So that's why I suggest leaving gdm out of things until
you can manualy get into gnome and have Orca talk by using startx.