Many thanks for this info.
Will give it a try and see how it goes for me.
I am used to debian so this is a little different, but I look forward of doing this and see how it goes.
Just a question, later on I may want to install some servers, like ProFTPD and on Debian when I installed it
it was run as an own user, which is good.
Have you installed that?
Many thanks,
Christian

On 2010-04-05 at 22:13 Michael Whapples wrote:

The quick instructions (shouldn't really differ from the docs).

Install the following (may install more than you want but should get
everything required): xorg, gnome gnome-extra xorg-video-drivers
xorg-input-drivers gamin
The following command should do that:
pacman -S xorg gnome gnome-extra xorg-video-drivers xorg-input-drivers
gamin

Ensure the things you want to start at boot up are added to the daemons
array in the /etc/rc.conf file. You need hal for detection of hardware
like USB drives, you want gdm for graphical login. The daemons array is
the line beginning
DAEMONS=(
put the required daemons between the open and close brackets on that
line (I put hal and gdm after network and with hal first).

If you want a non-US keymap in gnome then copy the file
/usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-keymap.fdi to
/etc/hal/fdi/policy/ and then edit the file searching for ">us<"
(without the quote marks). Change the us to whatever your country code
is (NOTE: It may differ from that for the text console, the British
layout for text console is uk but in this file it should be gb).

Optionally set gnome to auto login after a length of time, so in
/etc/gdm/custom.conf make sure the following block appears (NOTE: some
of this might already exist, my system had the section headings).
[daemon]
TimedLoginEnable=true
TimedLogin=mike
TimedLoginDelay=5

Where I put "mike" in the above change it for your username and where I
give 5 on the TimedLoginDelay line change it to whatever number of
seconds you want before auto login.

Now this is where I got stuck, start gnome and try and start orca, it
didn't work as smooth as it should for me. May be try and run orca in
text mode in a text console to set it up. Where orca did work for me was
in a gnome-terminal, so try that if everything else fails (unfortunately
getting orca running in gnome terminal does rely on you typing correct
to get gnome-terminal, etc).

Good luck, I'll be interested to know if everything just works for you
or if you also hit problems.

Michael Whapples