Re: [orca-list] Question about installing Gnome on Archlinux

Actually, your xsession may be doing just fine. I've had a similar experience where the actual terminal that x hooked on to won't always be where you think it is. In my case, I have 12 ttys configured for text concoles so when I start up gnome, it will take tty13 but sometimes, if not more often, it will take ty14 instead.. In your case, it might be jumping up to tty08 or tty09. Of course, you can get there by pressing left-alt+f8 or left-alt+f9 to try and get in there. You could also try to go to tty06 and verify that there is a login screen there and if you press the kp+period key, you should hear speakup tell you the tty number you're on, then use the left-alt + period and comma keys to shift back and forth between virtual consoles. As you move up from tty06, 7, 8... you should run into the right console. Once you figure this all out, keep in mind which console you went into and use the appropriate alt+function key to take you to gnome. If you have the default six text consoles open, I can't imagine the gnome terminal wondering that far off from tty07 through tty09 but I noticed that something allows for 64 possible terminals but the agetties are running on just the first six but on my machine I upped it to 12.

Hope this all helps.

On 04/05/2010 11:11 PM, Alonzo wrote:
Oh?
Well it use to a year ago. Nothhigns changged... i just updated the package. I can have a look at the logs. At the end it has a bunch of numbers and was unable to define region. this also happens on m y laptop which has an intel gma-945. Again it use to work fine on my laptop, but when I updated a couple of months ago I can't switch from text consoles to gnome.

Alonzo
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jason White" <jason jasonjgw net>
To: <orca-list gnome org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2010 1:07 AM
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Question about installing Gnome on Archlinux

Alonzo <mariachiac gmail com> wrote:
I can get nome working fine on arch... Its when I switch to a
console with ctrl-alt-f1 and do something with speakup. then I
switch back to x with control-alt-f7 and I cann't do anything.
Speakup just says bbbbb when moving the arrows. i'm told by sighted
assistance that it shows a background with a cursor, but they are
not able to do anything as well.
Xorg starts from udev and senses all modules fine. Not sure whats going on.

Check your Xorg log file (I don't know what it's called in Arch Linux) for any errors; use ps to find out whether the X server is still running and whether the Gnome desktop is still up. It would also be a good idea to look at your
~/.xsession-errors file.

It could be your video driver - perahps it can't switch from text mode back into graphics mode properly, in which case you might need a different driver
to be installed.