To: "Teresa Cochran" <pipistrelle cox net>
Cc: <orca-list gnome org>
Sent: Sunday, June 07, 2009 12:21 PM
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Braille and Orca Again

Hi Teresa:

Thanks!  What you're doing is called "flat review mode" in Orca.  In
flat review mode, Orca merely takes a snapshot of the text that is
showing in a window and allows you to navigate this showing text in a
two dimensional fashion.  When you navigate the showing text in flat
review mode, Orca doesn't move the text insertion caret, the
mouse/pointer, or change focus.  It's merely allowing you to examine the
text that is showing in the window.

Flat review mode is not intended to be the primary operating mode of
Orca.  It's really only meant to be a means to examine the showing
contents of a window.  A typical use case is when you encounter an
ill-behaved application that doesn't support good keyboard traversal -- you sometimes need to use flat review mode to examine the text that is
showing in the window.  You can then use other flat review commands to
perform a left or right click operation on an object.

Instead of flat review mode, the intended operating mode of Orca is the
default mode, which is called "focus tracking mode".  In focus tracking
mode, you interact with the application using the same keyboard
navigation commands that all users use (e.g., arrow keys, tab, typing,
etc.).  Orca watches what you are doing and then presents information
about what has changed.

So...the issue comes back to the same thing we've been trying to figure
out, which is how to allow you to keep your hands on the braille display
and still navigate an application in a normal fashion.  At a minimum, I
think this should allow for the common navigation actions: arrowing
around, tabbing and shift+tabbing, page up/down.  I believe BrlTTY
coupled with xbrlapi is supposed help you accomplish this, but I've
never figured out how.

Will