Re: [orca-list] keyboard layouts

I'll explain a bit of my xorg.conf so that you can adjust yours
accordingly. Hal is using this silly evdev driver and so it's a bit silly
to configure because by default there will not be a section in xorg.conf
for it. So here is what's going on. You need to find the name of the
device that your keyboard gets assigned in dmesg as it is system
dependent. It should be obvious from looking at dmesg where your keyboard
is but see /dev/input as well. For example in my dmesg output I have:

input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard as /class/input/input1
input: Chicony Saitek Eclipse II Keyboard as /class/input/input9
generic-usb 0003:06A3:8021.0001: input,hidraw0: USB HID v1.11 Keyboard [Chicony Saitek Eclipse II Keyboard]
on usb-0000:00:1d.0-1/input0
input: Chicony Saitek Eclipse II Keyboard as /class/input/input10
generic-usb 0003:06A3:8021.0002: input,hiddev0,hidraw1: USB HID v1.11 Device [Chicony Saitek Eclipse II
Keyboard] on usb-0000:00:1d.0-1/input1

In /dev/input I have:

by-id
by-path
event0
event1
event10
event2
event3
event4
event5
event6
event7
event8
event9
mice
mouse0
mouse1
mouse2

And here is the keyboard section in xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "evdev"
        Option "Device" "/dev/input/event9"
        option "XkbVariant" "dvorak"
                Option          "XkbModel"              "evdev"
                        Option          "XkbLayout"             "us"
                                Option "evBits" "+1"
                                        Option "keyBits" "~1-255 ~352-511"
                                                Option "Pass"    "3"
EndSection

I hope that that was somewhat helpful. I got it working here though it
did take a bit of screwing around. The solution was not obvious and it has
broken at least twice. I have no idea why my keyboard has 2 input devices
either but there you go. You need to change the gnome  preference back to
"evdev managed keyboard" when you get xorg.conf set up the way you like.