Re: [orca-list] [ANNOUNCE] libao (new audio driver for speechd including working pulseaudio support).

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 08:46:54AM EST, Luke Yelavich wrote:
I will be testing this patch myself today, and will integrate it if things appear to be favourable, and by
all indications they will be. I will then make this option configurable via the speechd configuration
system, so people can tweak it to their satisfaction, and so that we can set a sensible default for Ubuntu
Lucid.

As an initial patch, it certainly works very well. No break up of audio being sent to pulse, and generally ok
responsiveness. However, when reviewing lines of text in the terminal for example, it doesn't stop speaking
the previous text and speak the new text quickly enough for my taste, and flushing speech by pressing control
takes a bit too long too.

I also experienced the issues others have reported with reviewing individual letters, and letters not being
spoken. I think its buffering related, and libao doesn't play the buffer unless there is a minum amount of
audio to be played.

Anyway, with further tweaking, I hope we can get this to a usable solution for speech-dispatcher.

Luke