Re: [orca-list] Page presentation issues

Regardless, I think we can learn some valuable lessons from the Windows
screen readers, even if we don't like some of the approaches taken in
them (i.e. virtual buffering of webpages). There seems to be this
attitude of, "Oh, well Windows does it, therefore we should steer clear
of it and do the exact opposite!"

In my opinion, we should try to focus on the task the user is trying to accomplish and work to make that efficient, compelling, and usable. This can mean questioning why things were done the way they were on Windows, perhaps adopting some of the idioms, and perhaps abandoning others. I'd like to believe that this user-centered approach has resulted in a pretty usable screen reader in a very short period of time.

Will