Re: [orca-list] Page presentation issues

On Fri, 16 May 2008, Hermann wrote:

am Fr 16. Mai 2008 um 09:57:24 schrieb Jeffrey Shockley <jawswizard ec rr com>:
Hi list,
I'm wondering about the presentation of links in Firefox and how it can
be adjusted to have have each link on it's own line like Windows
screenreaders do? Also, is there any reason why the navagation of
webpages is so slow?

Let's put the question the other way: Why is Windows so fast? Steve gave
the answer, because webpages get buffered and are presented as a simple
text file with all stuff adjusted left.

Windows is faster? I didn't know that.

Would writing the navigation functions for orca in c help? (Is python causing the slowness?) Or is it not related to that?

Orca presents the webpage in its original structure, and since nowadays

Which is better than the windows buffering I think I have seen in internet explorer.
(I hardly ever use windows so that is why I didn't notice the speed thing)

websites tend to be very large and contain lots of elements, Orca reacts
sometimes sluggish on this sites, and this is not only true when using
structural navigation.

Indeed.

There were heated discussions in the list regarding this matter, but the
decissions are made, and the question is how to speed up Orca within this
scheme.

See my question above.

Is there any hope of implementing a links list dialog?

I think the majority of the community rejects such suggestions.

Why not a hotkey to put the links into a list view or whatever so you can down arrow through links (same with forms, and perhaps objects) but when these lists are not active show the page as it looks. (Like it is shown now.) (Don't invent this buffering stuff)

Cheers,

--
Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/