Re: [orca-list] Orca and IDEs

On Sun, 2008-07-13 at 13:29 +0200, Hermann wrote:
Michael Whapples <mwhapples aim com> writes:
[...]
I would agree about this, I regularly am using brltty in a text console
and speakup for speech output and then orca when those fail me (eg.
access to a widely used browser for those annoying pages that only work
with very specific browsers). In the area of braille there is quite alot
about orca which I find annoying. Possibly the use of the term "screen
reader" was wrong for what I was asking, I was meaning whether something
like speechd-el which has braille support for emacs would be better than
just brltty with the text console driver stuff, like I have been lead to
believe the speech output from emacspeak is meant to be very good
compared to some general screen readers and editors.

If you use brltty and Speakup, why to use Emacspeak? Use the regular Emacs, and you
don't need Speechd-el as well.

I had been lead to believe that emacspeak can provide more advanced
speech output to speech in emacs (eg. speak indentation level of code
which would be very useful for python programming, code highlighting
vocalisation, etc). Are you saying that speakup does actually produce
such good output? Getting emacspeak to work with everything else isn't a
problem, I have viavoice which can be used from speakup via the ttsynth
connector, emacspeak with the outloud driver, and gnome-speech with orca
(modified to give alsa output with the viavoice driver), and it all
seems to work without problems.

Michael Whapples
Hermann