Re: [orca-list] Orca and IDEs

On Sat, 2008-07-12 at 21:13 +1000, Jason White wrote:
On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 12:10:46PM +0100, Michael Whapples wrote:
I wonder if anyone can suggest some IDEs which work well with orca.

Emacs, run from gnome-terminal, or much better, run with Emacspeak installed
if you use speech output.

Strange that, I seemed to be heading for the emacs answer anyway. I was
thinking of emacspeak in a text console, but I would like braille as
well (I don't know whether brltty in a text console will be as good as
from a screen reader which may do more intelegent processing of what to
display). What about speechd-el? Supposedly speechd-el supports brltty
as well as speech-dispatcher, but when I used it, it had some annoying
behaviours eg. brailling the words "blank line" when the line is blank
instead of showing a blank braille line.

I keep intending to learn emacs, but I keep putting it off, may be I
just need to sit down and spend some time learning the few thousand key
presses.

There are various development-oriented Emacs packages available, though I
haven't used them personally. For example, oo-browser is said to be excellent
for Java projects, and it may support Python as well. With Emacspeak, the
Python mode will announce the indentation level of each line. In all modes (C,
Java, Python, etc.), Emacspeak offers aural syntax highlighting.