Re: [orca-list] Orca and IDEs

On Sun, 2008-07-13 at 10:17 +1000, Jason White wrote:
On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 03:19:26PM +0100, Michael Whapples wrote:
Strange that, I seemed to be heading for the emacs answer anyway. I was
thinking of emacspeak in a text console, but I would like braille as
well (I don't know whether brltty in a text console will be as good as
from a screen reader which may do more intelegent processing of what to
display).

BRLTTY from a text console is much better than BRLTTY with Orca. It supports
more features, including more navigational commands, at the console.

I would agree about this, I regularly am using brltty in a text console
and speakup for speech output and then orca when those fail me (eg.
access to a widely used browser for those annoying pages that only work
with very specific browsers). In the area of braille there is quite alot
about orca which I find annoying. Possibly the use of the term "screen
reader" was wrong for what I was asking, I was meaning whether something
like speechd-el which has braille support for emacs would be better than
just brltty with the text console driver stuff, like I have been lead to
believe the speech output from emacspeak is meant to be very good
compared to some general screen readers and editors.

The Orca developers are working to improve this situation, in relation to
which there are several bugs currently open.