Re: [orca-list] firefox - responsiveness and youtube accessibility

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 10:03:07AM +0200, Halim Sahin wrote:

Maybe.
I have 2400 MHz and 2 GB ram.
On my machine orca jumps around the youtube site and is not very
usable.

That's a separate issue. The issue I was responding to was the general lack of
performance on the stated hardware.

Sites that use client-side scripts and which update Web pages dynamically
without employing the new Aria attributes supported by Firefox (and soon by
other browsers) are likely to have accessibility problems.

For example, I was using a university database site last week which relies on
Javascript. Many of the form fields have event listeners associated with them.
When focus moves away from such a form field, a Javascript function is called,
which submits the form; an updated page is returned and the user is back at
the top of the page.

Also, in some circumstances, Orca's caret movement code in the Firefox script
(Gecko.py) incorrectly determines the location of the next line. As a result,
the focus jumps to an unrelated part of the document. I have submitted a bug
about this, and I have also examined the code, but I haven't had time to work
out what is happening.

Unfortunately there is very little debugging information in this part of the
code, so I can't just read a debug log to find out what Firefox is giving to
Orca via the accessibility API in these cases.