Re: [orca-list] Punctuation, capital letters, exchange of characters and strings, generally error in the design of Orca

Hi,
On Mo, Apr 14, 2008 at 11:24:50 +1000, Jason White wrote:
On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 08:52:35PM +0100, Michael Whapples wrote:

I agree that pulseaudio doesn't seem to be the way forward. I have heard
so much of it here on this list that I thought may be I should try it
and solve the problems I have for those few apps which don't work with
alsa or the alsa-oss compatibility system. All my effort lead to me
concluding that all pulseaudio does is insert another layer of
complexity which I need to work out how to set up correctly so that all
apps can produce sound.

There is a list of features here:
http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/AboutPulseAudio#Features

Note that the maintainers of several Linux distributions, Ubuntu and Fedora to
begin with, disagree with the assertion that PulseAudio is not the way
forward. In fact, they think it is so much the way forward that it will be
used by default to control audio output.

If you don't need fast response to your audio output like with
screenreaders etc, pulseaudio can be very usefull for user applications.

They are pushing pulseaudio and don't remember that we had several
soundservers in the past like esd, arts etc.
Sure pulse is small, runs on small devices and can stream sound over a
network.
Perhaps somebody else has tried pulseaudio with gnomespeech and can write something about
it????

Regards
Halim