Re: [orca-list] Punctuation, capital letters, exchange of characters and strings, generally error in the design of Orca

Just a note on the Python vs. C issue:

As I dig into it more, I believe the idea is that the core server of SpeechDispatcher is (and will remain?) a C-based service that talks to TTS engines. It listens on sockets and communicates with external applications like Orca via Brailcom's SSIP protocol. On the client side, there will be a number of language bindings that provide convenience mechanisms for handling SSIP. So, the Python bindings in question are really for helping Python-based clients, such as Orca, to talk to the SpeechDispatcher service via SSIP. I think.

As my knowledge of SpeechDispatcher grows, so do my questions about what is complete and what is planned. Like the AT-SPI, which is composed of the AT-SPI IDL, ATK, GAIL, a bridge for ATK, a bridge for Java, C bindings for the client side, etc., there are a lot of components to SpeechDispatcher (TTSAPI, SSIP, language bindings, TTS engine drivers, config files, etc.) that make the learning curve a little steep. Couple a lack of knowledge about the complete SpeechDispatcher picture with the possibility that things will be changing in the future, and it gets a little daunting.

I still need to do a more thorough examination of the Python speechd bindings to see how well they map to the overall requirements.

Will