Re: [orca-list] Punctuation, capital letters, exchange of characters and strings, generally error in the design of Orca

Hello,
On Di, Apr 08, 2008 at 02:51:54 +0200, Milan Zamazal wrote:
"HS" == Halim Sahin <halim sahin t-online de> writes:

    HS> What about orca's performance in general?  There were some
    HS> performance improvements last months but comparing orca to
    HS> ohther screenreaders showws the problem.

Would you be more specific and tell us why exactly Python (and not
something else) is the performance problem in Orca?  And what are the
"other screen readers"?  AFAIK the only other screen reader comparable
to Orca is LSR and this one is implemented in Python too.

You are right we don't have any screenreader which works on a graphical
environment under linux which is not implemented in python.

I don't want diskusing the advantages of interpreted languages against
compiled apps.

My intension was to say that I don't like the fact that i need to have a
python interpreter installed on a machine which does not run orca.
Currently suse-blinux , yasr and brltty are using speechd and they are small
applications. The python interpreter will be needed if these apps wants
to use the new api.

Regarding orca I don't know if this performance issues are related to
python but I can not confirm that it isn't.

Please read my last mails. I like speech-dispatcher at its current state.
It works stable and is very (((fast))).
If you are planning to replace it by an python implementation it will
be less performant and (more unstable).
This is my last mail regarding this topic.
Have a nice day.
Halim