Re: [orca-list] Punctuation, capital letters, exchange of characters and strings, generally error in the design of Orca

Hi Jan:

    WW> Based upon recent conversations, my current understanding of
    WW> speech dispatcher is that it merely passes text on to the speech
    WW> engine with some additional engine-specific markup if the engine
    WW> supported it.
Yes.

OK - so, no additional processing of the text is done. It is just dispatched.

    WW> My argument is that a user wants a feature and they don't care
    WW> how it is delivered. They just want it to work.
Mr. Zamazal has already answered. Apart from this we have implemented
this functionality in Festival through Festival Freebsoft Utils and in
cooperation with Jonathan Duddington we have achieved that it is
implemented in Espeak as well.

OK - so some negotiation and work is required from the speech engine provider.

 IBM TTS module in SD emulates much of
this functionality and if there is need it is possible to find a
solution for other speech engines as well.

Here's where I get confused. 'Emulates' implies to me that some processing is done in SD if the engine doesn't support it. So, doesn't this mean that SD is not just a dispatcher, but it also contains code to provide support for features missing in a speech engine?

    WW> I agree. Let's focus on the user requirements proposed in
    WW> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/orca-list/2008-March/msg00566.html
    WW> and discuss how we can deliver these requirements when also
    WW> dealing with speech engines that do not have direct support for
    WW> them.
This discussion has already taken place. You can see the results on
http://www.freebsoft.org/tts-api . As Mr. Hanke wrote in a previous
email it is nothing closed and we welcome any suggestions and
improvements. I don't see any meaning in starting from the very begin
again.

I'm definitely not suggesting we start from the beginning again. The total number of TTS API's in the world is approaching the total number of people in China.

What I'm hearing from you is a proposal that TTSAPI is the solution to look at, and that it can be changed to accommodate requirements from http://mail.gnome.org/archives/orca-list/2008-March/msg00566.html that might be missing. If that is the case, then a constructive way to move forward would be to map the requirements from http://mail.gnome.org/archives/orca-list/2008-March/msg00566.html to TTSAPI calls.

In addition, I'd also like to hear more about the current state of TTSAPI. How complete is the implementation, where does it work, who is using it, etc.

Thanks!

Will