[orca-list] Pulseaudio on Hardy was: Re: Orca is silent after updating Gnome-Speech

am Sa 05. Apr 2008 um 13:39:41 schrieb Willie Walker <William Walker Sun COM>:
"BTW, I've heard that pulseaudio support is helping address the
notion of device contention. As a result of this, you might not run
into gnome-speech device contention issues when you're using a system
that is using pulseaudio.

Which system? I've heard of some instabilities of PulseAudio.

I've used it on Solaris and I believe Mike has used it on Hardy.  Note
that this isn't meant to be a promotion of PulseAudio (I don't know all
the details about it), but it does seem to help with device contention
problems.

Have tested the yesterday's current version of Hardy:
http://cdimages.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/hardy-desktop-i386.iso
and indeed, Pulseaudio is installed and seems to work pretty well: You can launch audio/video files while
Orca keeps on
speaking; Gnome-speech is used as output.
I had only one stop of speech while working in Evolution, when I adjusted its layout in the view menu; don't
know the
reason for this. Braille continued to work, and after restarting Orca, speech was back and stayed till the
end of my
session.
One strange thing I had to observe: When I tried playing a wave file from the Gnome terminal by using aplay,
I got an
error message that the device was busy. Silencing Orca by pressing Orca+S made the file play. Perhaps
something wrong
with Alsa, but a minor issue.
Hermann